Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rarities #40: Panic! At The Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out Box Set (2006)










A Fever You Can't Sweat Out is Panic! At The Disco's 2005 debut album. You might remember that they dropped the "!" for their second album Pretty.Odd, but recently, with the departure of two of the members Ryan Ross and Jon Walker, the band (with the two surviving members) reinstated the "!" back into their name.

You might also remember P!ATD as the band with a penchant for long song titles, just like fellow American pop/rock band Fall Out Boy. It is no coincidence as P!ATD were the first band to be signed on to Decaydance, the record label founded by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy.

This collector's edition of A Fever That You Can't Sweat Out is a real treat, one of the few box sets that shows much care has gone into its creation. The outer box has an intentional weathered look, and the inside is lined with faux red velvet, with gold hotstamping and the message "Beware of imitations".

There's a ton of goodies inside the box, including a poster, a masquerade mask, a phenakistoscope, 12 picture cards (one for each song on the album), a mini tour programme, 4 black and white pictures of the band, a blank diary, a fake newspaper and a certificate of authenticity.

FYI, a phenakistoscope is an animation device with a spinning disc attached vertically on a handle. When you spin the disc and look through the moving slits at the disc's reflection in a mirror, you will see a rapid succession of images with the appearance of a motion picture. In this case, of a lady dancing.

Of course, there's also the CD album, but not only that, there's an additional DVD not available elsewhere, containing live performances, a documentary and interviews.

Only 25,000 sets were produced worldwide, and the certificate comes with a unique serial number. Definitely one for keeps!

18 Comments:

At 11:28 am, Anonymous Julia said...

Hey i was wondering if you would liek to sell this.
I would be willing to buy it for $25 (via paypal)with shipping and handling included.
I really want this box which i havent been able to find! Please reply back to jvperez19@yahoo.com

 
At 11:40 am, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Hi Julia, thanks for your note. It took me quite a while to track this down, so I'm afraid I can't sell it to you! If I come across another set, I'll let you know...by the way, Panic have a new album coming out in March. :)

 
At 12:01 pm, Anonymous Julia said...

Okay, please do let me know! I've been a fan of them since AFYCSO but my parent never bought me the box (thnx alot mum and dad!) If you do please let me know! :)
Yesssss new album in March! I'm hoping they might decide to change the date to Feb! lol! Can't wait

 
At 12:06 pm, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Sure thing. Yeap, they've released a 30 second snippet of "The Ballad Of Mona Lisa" and it sounds really good. Watch out for "Vices & Virtues", they might have a special box set, and you better buy it this time haha!

 
At 12:36 pm, Anonymous Julia said...

yeah it sounds a bit liek something from AFYCSO, very different from pretty odd. oh trust me if they have a box set i am buying it now matter what. :D

 
At 8:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do realise that the box set (used) is selling for $300+ on Amazon.

I doubt $25 is going to cover it.

 
At 3:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would like to ask how much you bought it for, if you dont mind, i want one so badly and i know they sell it for like $100 something on ebay and amazon

 
At 2:47 pm, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

I bought mine second hand for about SGD$50, which was quite a steal I realise! But I won't be selling it, I'm afraid...

 
At 11:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no i obviously no you wont selling xD i mean if i had it i wouldnt but you bought this in 2006 i think right? how much did they cost me when they first came out? i didnt listen to panic! in 2006 so i didnt see this before. $50 wow thats lucky, i think people increased the price today....honeslty may i ask do you think $140 for that box is worth it?im asking my parents this for my birthday cuz i really want it and your a panic fan so i need an opinion.

 
At 11:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no i obviously no you wont selling xD i mean if i had it i wouldnt but you bought this in 2006 i think right? how much did they cost me when they first came out? i didnt listen to panic! in 2006 so i didnt see this before. $50 wow thats lucky, i think people increased the price today....honeslty may i ask do you think $140 for that box is worth it?im asking my parents this for my birthday cuz i really want it and your a panic fan so i need an opinion.

 
At 1:36 am, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Hi, I think $140 is a little steep...you should scout around and look for it. Maybe if you're overseas, pop into one of those old school CD shops or even secondhand CD shops and you never know, you might find it. I don't think you can find this in Singapore. No more CD shops left! :)

 
At 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not really sure if i can find one of these in canada xD most CD stores here sell like the beatles and metallica xD

 
At 12:25 pm, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Beatles and Metallica are cool...but no love for you Panic fan then! Ok all the best in your quest!

 
At 3:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no dont get me wrong i like metallica and the beatles are pretty cool and thanks i just found one on the internet for about $65 :)

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Congrats! :)

 
At 4:44 am, Blogger il pacificatore said...

Cheers, I probably need your help... For a copy of the second tarot.
Maybe we can talk about it, if you want.
Thank you

 
At 7:34 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

hi, i was wondering if you could give us atleast a scanned version of the inclusions? Thank you. email me at monsieurandrw@gmail.com

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

hi, i was wondering if you could give us atleast a scanned version of the inclusions? Thank you. email me at monsieurandrw@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home