Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Collectibles #24: South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut OST (1999)




Finally! I've been looking for a copy of this OST for a long time, and I finally found it in HMV! Ever since I saw the movie on DVD in 1999, I've been looking for a copy but to no avail. My friend actually bought a copy at Tower Records (long before it closed down) but I haven't seen it since he bought that copy.

I'm not a regular South Park watcher, but I thought that the film was super funny. And it was so successful because of the songs in there. Needless to say, the most obvious standout track is the ultra vulgar and profanity-laced Uncle F**ka by Terrance and Phillip. It's damn hilarious, and even though I'm not one who spews the F word about, I think when used appropriately (like in this instance), it's actually acceptable. Too bad they didn't include the remix from the film here.

I also like Mr Mackey's It's Easy Mmmkay. Never knew that there would be a substitute for "OK" other than "K".

Blame Canada was even nominated for an Academy Award despite its political incorrectness ("They're not even a real country anyway"). During the Oscars ceremony, Robin Williams performed the song live, but without the profanities of course.

Kyle's Mom's A B**ch is also super hilarious, especially the part where the African kids sing the verse and you don't know a single word of what they're singing. Superb.

Another personal favourite is Up There by Satan The Dark Prince. It's so funny because they make Satan to be this diva-esque figure who's really lonely and has a penchant for singing high notes and wailing like Mariah.

The OST contains 12 songs that were featured in the film and another 8 tracks that are inspired by the movie, which essentially are different versions of the songs sung by popular artistes. Not as good as the original for sure.

To fully appreciate this OST, you'd have to watch the film, otherwise they wouldn't make sense. After a long search, I'm so glad I found this. But you can bet I wouldn't be turning the volume up too often!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home