Monday, June 05, 2006

Collectibles #9: Michael Jackson Visionary: The Video Singles (2006) (UPDATE: COMPLETE)

UPDATE: I've finally completed collecting all 20 singles! After much pain and holes in my pockets. Yeah I just calculated and I realised I've spent S$352.20 for this whole set!!! Oh my gosh, it's ridiculous! No wonder I'm so broke....shikes.

Here is the complete box...




Original Post:



When an artiste leaves a label, it is common for the label to re-release the artiste's old stuff in various formats and packagings. We have already seen countless MJ greatest hits compilations, and sure enough, another one pops up.

This time, it's the Visionary: The Video Singles box set. Inspired by the success of Elvis Presley's re-release of his number one singles over about 20 weeks, Sony has responded by churning out this box set, in which a different single will be released each week over 20 weeks.

This time, the singles are not the normal CD singles but rather, they are Dual Disc singles - a new format of discs where one side is audio (CD) and the other side is video (DVD). A pretty ingenious idea, used mainly to combat music piracy by offering fans "two different expreiences", as they market it. But it also means more money spent, as each Dual Disc release is more expensive than usual.

For this Visionary project, 20 of MJ's biggest video singles have been chosen. The videos are the most groundbreaking of his career and they have been deemed worthy of a re-release. But not all the videos are great though. I don't know what the hell You Are Not Alone is doing here when Scream is so much better. I think it's because of the complication of getting clearance from Virgin, as Scream featured Janet in the song and video.

Anyway, this whole project is not available in Singapore and I went to great lengths to get it. It's not complete though - I'm still missing 7 singles. And let's see, each single I got from Hong Kong cost me about S$13 and those I got from Japan around S$20 each. So it's a big sum of money for this. Sigh. Why can't they just bring it in Singapore?

2 Comments:

At 1:33 am, Anonymous gr said...

hi

how much do u sell it ??

thanxxxxxxx

 
At 3:39 am, Blogger Son of a Gan said...

Hi, I'm afraid it's not for sale! Took me too much effort to complete collecting all 20 singles. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home