Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Collectibles #6: Nine Inch Nails With Teeth (2005)



Bought this album for some time now but only started spinning it more recently. Partly due to the fact that the third single, Every Day Is Exactly The Same just topped the Billboard Modern Rock charts a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not a big fan of NIN but I was introduced to them because of Dave Grohl's guest appearance on this album. While it is not exactly known which tracks feature Grohl on the drums, I take it that he did contribute a large part to this album.

The aforementioned new single is really growing on me, as are some of the other tracks. Second single, Only, is also getting me really hooked, and then there's the ferocious double pedal work on You Know What You Are that's getting me worked up as well. The Collector is one of those weird songs with irregular 5/8 timings but it's still quite catchy.

The Hand That Feeds, the first single, was my favourite song of 2005, so I need not say anything more about it. Getting Smaller is one song that I would love to jam. I assume that Dave Grohl did the drum track here and I think it's marvellous. He's tight as hell.

With Teeth is said to be NIN's most accessible work so far, yet it is better to take it with a pinch of salt. It's really not that accessible, as most of the songs are quite dark and angsty. But the production values are top notch and you can tell that a lot of time was spent engineering this album.

This is one of the albums that you'll listen to when you don't give a f*ck about the world, and just indulge in your own world. You and your headphones and NIN.

This Limited Tour Edition comes with a bonus DVD containing the entire album in 5.1 surround sound, a bonus CD track Home, as well as he video for The Hand That Feeds. Good intentions, but most of us don't have a 5.1 surround system so we won't be able to appreciate the "surround sound" effect. But maybe one day I'll have a nice home with these swanky speakers. One day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home